"Yoga is an ancient practice based in vedic philosophies, rooted in India. It is a spiritual modality or practice that has been becoming more and more widely practised throughout the world for its emotional, physical and spiritual benefits. It consists of postures, known as asanas, breathing techniques known as, pranayama and mediation, known as dyana.
There are different types of yoga ranging from gentle practices involving stretching and breathing, to more challenging ones. It is sometimes referred to as "meditative movement". What are the health benefits of yoga?
Research suggests that yoga may:
- *Help improve general wellness by relieving stress, supporting good health habits, and improving mental/emotional health, sleep, and balance.
- *Relieve low-back pain and neck pain, and possibly pain from tension-type headaches and knee osteoarthritis.
- *Help people who are overweight or obese lose weight.
- *Help people quit smoking.
- *Help people manage anxiety or depressive symptoms associated with difficult life situations.
- *Relieve menopause symptoms.
- *Help people with chronic diseases manage their symptoms and improve their quality of life.
Yoga is good for ALL people. If you have limitations yoga can be adjusted and modified to accommodate.
Chair yoga, with Jacqueline, is a gentle form of yoga that is practised sitting on a chair, or standing using a chair for support. It is done with a focus on mindfulness and relaxation, without judgment, strain, or requirements for flexibility. This practice is designed to improve concentration, slow the breath, and strengthen the body from the inside out.
(1 hour drop-in)
Hatha yoga is a gentle form of yoga that is practised by moving the body with intention into poses to create more strength and stability. It can be supported to accommodate physical challenges.
(1 hour drop-in)